Wednesday, October 29, 2008

WORLD SERIES - Lidge Rocks and Phillies Roll

It didn't really matter to me which team won the Series - neither of them are the Astros. I have family in both Philly and Tampa. But I ended up cheering for the Phillies because they now have some of my favorite ex-Astros. No one was more critical to the Phillies' success this year, in the regular season and in the playoffs, than the closer that the Astros got rid - Brad Lidge, finishing up a PERFECT year, not a single blown save. If my team wasn't going all the way, the next best thing was to see Lidge standing on the mound after the last guy struck out tonight. He wasn't standing for long - he fell to his knees, gave a hug to his catcher, and then was lost under a pile of Phillies gone wild. I've always thought Lidge was a great pitcher, and if it took a move to Philadelphia to recharge him, I'm glad that he was traded and had the opportunity for the season of his life.

The other ex-Astro who will get a lot less attention, but who also played a role in the Series, is Eric Bruntlett. He scored the winning run in the last two games of the Series.

The Astros got themselves another great closer and some really good bench guys, but it doesn't look like they came out ahead on their trade with the Phillies to get Michael Bourn.

The 2008 season is officially over. Congratulations to the Phillies! Long live Lidge!

I can't wait for Spring Training.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog! Go 'Stros!