Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Wandy Rules - July Pitcher of the Month!

Wandy - the NL pitcher of the month for July?


Who woulda thunk it?

Well, I for one. I love to say "I toldja so." And I did - I've been saying since Spring Training - if Wandy stays healthy, this is his year. And so far, this is his year.

He earned the honor for a 4-0 record in July with a miniscule 0.75 ERA. He pitched 36 innings, giving up just 3 ERs, striking out 34. He had 18 consecutive shutout innings from July 2-21. He's fifth in the NL for ERA. Wandy may not be a household name in most NL towns, but he ought to be getting some respect in Houston.

I predicted at Spring Training that Wandy was good for at least 15 wins this season - 50% more than he's ever had before. With 2/3 of the season over, he's at 10. The question now is whether he'll stay healthy. He left his last game after 4 innings with a strained hamstring. He says that he'll be able to make his next start, but hopefully, he won't exacerbate the problem.

Meanwhile, congratulations to Wandy on a fantastic month of July - and let's hope that August and September are more of the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog! Go 'Stros!