Sunday, October 25, 2009

Dreamin' of Spring Training

The Astros Spring Training schedule is out. The World Series hasn't even started yet, and I'm already looking forward to March in Kissimmee. Even the malls wait until after Halloween to start with the Christmas decorations, but I start fantasizing about my annual trek to Spring Training 5 months ahead.

Given that the schedule is only tentative, with tickets not going on sale for a few months, I've only tentatively selected my dates - March 16-22. Maybe fly in through Tampa for Tuesday's away game against the Yankees (if I can get tickets!), spend the night with my cousins Jono and Heather, then head to Orlando for the Wednesday home game  against the Nats. After the game, head to the east coast for a night in Cocoa Beach to watch Thursday's shuttle liftoff (if it's not canceled). Spend the day at the beach or touring Nasa, since Thursday's an off day. Then back to Orlando for 4 home games from Friday through Monday - Blue Jays, Yankees again, Mets, and Cardinals. If I stay at my usual place, just a mile away, I can walk to the Sabbath game. With any luck, some of my other Astros blogger friends can go the same week, and we can finally meet!





Not sure who I can con into coming with me this year - my husband Robert can't take off work then. My sons have been there, done that. My daughters don't like baseball. I'm not even sure I can take off a week from work in mid-March, with Passover just a week later; it's hard to know what will be going on at the office so far ahead. But it's nice to start dreaming now - something to get through the long cold winter without baseball.

Meanwhile, I'm planning to cheer for the Phillies in the World Series. I really am.  I'm not just saying that to suck up to Bob (Chaos Scenario) Garfield.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog! Go 'Stros!