Tuesday, September 7, 2010

GAMES 137-138: Happy New Year!

GAME 137 - September 6: Cubs 5, Astros 4
GAME 138 - September 7: Astros 7, Cubs 3

I'm going to have to write this blog up quickly, then get back to cooking for Rosh Hashanah. I won't be able to record the tie-breaker game for this Chicago series -- or even see the outcome -- until Saturday night after the double-header holiday/Sabbath combo ends.


I came home from work late tonight, turned on the computer, and logged into mlb.tv just in time to see Brett Wallace hit his first major league home run. Anyone who hears me rant and rave on Twitter will know that I've been predicting this milestone event in just about every game since Wallace started. So finally tonight I was right. Other features of this crazy win included:

* Michael Bourn going 1-2-3 (single, double, triple), with 2 runs, 3 RBI, and of course a stolen base.

* National League Player of the Week Hunter Pence hitting an RBI double.

* Nelson Figueroa getting another win, pitching 5 innings, giving up 3 runs.

* Then, Byrdak, Melancon, and Abad preserving his win with 4 totally lights-out innings.

Nice game. Luckily I keep my iMac on my kitchen counter, so I could watch while chopping onions, making soup, sauteeing veggies, making spicy tomato sauce, roasting beets, and a bunch of other stuff that will result in my Rosh Hashana guests actually getting a meal tomorrow evening.

Yesterday afternoon's game started out fun, with a 4-run second inning. I was hoping that was a sign of a blow out, but unfortunately, the run-scoring stopped there for the Astros. Meanwhile, the Cubs just kept creeping up on Wandy, tying it up in the fifth, and then getting the go-ahead run off of Lopez in the eighth. I think the turning point of the game for me was when Bourn doubled, and then Kepp was sent out to sac bunt in the fourth inning. Reminded me of the WAY-TOO-MANY wasted outs sacrificed under the previous management last year. Bourn was eventually tagged out at home, and spiked in the face for his troubles. The high point of the game was CJ's homer in the second inning. The low point was Brian Bogusevic's first big-league start, with a bunch of his Chicago buddies in the stands -- he had a pair of strikeouts, and hit into two double plays. Better luck next time, kid.

So don't look for any blog updates from me until Sunday, when I'll have 4 games to catch up on, not mentioning the one to be played that day. I'll be busy celebrating Rosh Hashana with family and friends. Happy New Year! Let's hope that this time next year, we'll look back on a wonderful year of health, happiness, prosperity -- and that the Astros will be on their way to the playoffs!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog! Go 'Stros!