Sunday, October 9, 2011

What to do in the Astros Off Season - Part 1

The Astros were eliminated in August. Now the team I was cheering for in the playoffs (Phillies, for Pence and Roy O) are out. I don't really care about the outcome of the playoffs. And, given the remaining teams, the TV advertisers are probably less than celebratory also. The Yankees are so great for business.

So what to do, now that Astros baseball is over but the hot stove hasn't started heating up? Well, there's Real Life to attend to. Now that Yom Kippur has passed, it's time to build our sukkah! If you don't know what that is - it's a little temporary branch-covered dwelling we build to live in (or at least eat our meal in) for the weeklong Jewish holiday Sukkot. (If you really want to know more, check out Wikipedia.) Here's your Fan in Exile in the sukkah - walls are up, but no schach (branches on top) yet. The holiday starts Wednesday evening.


Another, less joyous thing to do in the off-season: Read about the trouble that the Astros' youngsters get into when they aren't busy playing baseball. Two in the past week, one tragic and one just stupid, and both probably avoidable: The Astros' 34th pick prospect, 18 year old Dustin Kellogg, was killed in a late night traffic accident, after cutting across 4 lanes to hit an 18-wheeler head on. The reports didn't give a reason for why the accident occurred, but it's hard to keep from wondering what might be behind this driver error. Very sad anyway, whether it was vehicle malfunction or impaired judgement. The second incident was definitely impaired judgement: Our young center fielder, Jordan Schafer got arrested for felony possession of marijuana, while puffing away and driving his car. He's lucky that it was an arrest and not an accident that resulted. It's also idiotic -- with the field wide open for young players on a team that's rebuilding, this doesn't exactly help his chances.

I'll figure out some more things to do in the Astros Off Season and post them in future blogs. Meanwhile, reply to this blog to give me YOUR ideas for how to pass the time until Spring Training!

5 comments:

Alissa Josephine Hope said...

This is great!

Anonymous said...

Being a Phillies fan, I'm in deep denial, to the point that I might be out. I was out for a few years a while back, but this team sucked me back in. It will be a while before I'm ready to follow the Phiilies, the playoffs or baseball in general.
When I was a fan, I'd use the off-season to bone up on my baseball history, reading reference books like they were novels. I know Astros history doesn't go back too far, but you can read all about the old-timers in a book like "The Glory of Their Times." A visit to the Hall of Fame might be in order. Try to do that before December when the wind chill hits single digits. Or you could get the schedules for next year and plan a baseball trip to 3 or 4 major league parks; that's always fun. Good luck and keep us informed as to what you decide to do.

Astros Fan In Exile said...

Hi Phillies fan - at least you got a run for your money this season. And you gotta love Underpants -- I mean Hunter Pence!

I do read some baseball non-fiction in the off season, and follow the trade rumors. I also plan my trip to Spring Training, starting as soon as the prelim schedule is published (now!). Hoping that they add a few more home games -- it's not clear that any week is better than any other for getting to the most games. I also scope out cameras, since I get a new one every other year before Spring Training. (This is the year - should I go to DSLR or not, that is the question.) As for visiting the HoF, I'm saving myself for when one/both of the Bs are inducted.

Anyway, thanks for writing! And thanks for reading my blog!

Unknown said...

I really like your blog, it looks very nice, I'm happy to visit again to see your blog because it's very good indeed and very nice, thank you for all. Regards, filmmaking for dummies I really hope to be your friends.

Anonymous said...

I HATE THE ASTROS GO YANKEES at least we got into the post seaason

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog! Go 'Stros!