Sunday, March 4, 2012

Missing Spring Training

This morning I was just about to write my Goodbye, Astros blog. I'd made my decision: Try to become a Nats fan, let the Astros go their merry way (to the AL!), time to part after 49 years. But first I took one last look at astros.com... and just like that I got sucked back in. Before I knew it I was checking the Spring Training schedule, looking at Osceola Park seat availability, checking out whether there were any cheap last-minute flights to Orlando, and thinking that maybe I'd try to get down to Kissimmee just for a couple of days. The pull of Spring Training is overwhelming.

The long and short of it: Plenty of seats in the ballpark, but no cheap flights, and no, I can't really take off work this week. Reality check. But sitting in my kitchen in Maryland, I can close my eyes and picture that first glimpse of the field when you walk up the ramp, and it's so hard not to just pick up and go. There's nothing I need more right now than a few days in the sun, watching practice and games that don't matter, and talking baseball with friends that I only see in Kissimmee.

The chances that I can get down there even for a couple of days are next to nil. But I'm going to watch the ball game today -- the Astros are playing the Nats -- Strasburg's Spring debut -- and the game will be on local TV. I'll give you an update after the game.

4 comments:

Mitch Molesky said...

We miss you Susan, it isn't the same down here wthout your smiling face :) The game yesterday was a good one. I must say, the Nats DID play a Great game, without CJ's 2 run homer, we would have lost. Their fielding was better and they made some awesome plays. All and all, a really enjoyable afternoon in the sun (when then again, when isn't it?). Glad to hear you haven't moved over to the dark side....just yet!

hollyedye said...

We really miss you.You have done a nice job.May good bless you

nigeria cheap flights

Unknown said...

dont go away.. miss u.php training in ahmedabad

ba san said...


Valentine Day Handbag or Purse:
Women or Girl keen to waiting for this occasion, and try always looking something different in front of his Boyfriend, the best options are Lanvin bag and Lanvin handbag.Please click www.lanvinhandbagstore.com

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog! Go 'Stros!