Sunday, November 28, 2010

Kaz Goes Back to Japan

I interrupted my perusal of grandbaby photos to do a quick check on the Astros hot stove. Not that much exciting news there, but I did notice a small news item that Kaz Matsui had given up on the MLB and returned to Japan. After being cut from the Astros, he ended up in the Rockies farm, never made it back to the bigs, and has now signed with the Rakuten Eagles.


No great loss there - I was never happy with him during his Astros tenure. He got off to a bad start after the Astros acquired him before the 2008 season, when he ended up on the DL following surgery that he would probably have preferred unmentioned. He hit .293 for the season, but only logged 96 games due to injuries.

If anything, the best thing about Kaz was the presence of his two aids (a trainer and a translator) who trotted around with him at Spring Training, dressed in matching red and black costumes. I know it's awful, but I couldn't help referring to them as Thing 1 and Thing 2.


So it's back to Japan for Kaz. I don't know what will happen to Thing 1 and Thing 2 - he won't need a translator back in the old country. As for me, I've moved on to my own version of Thing 1 and Thing 2.  


2 comments:

Bubby in Issaquah said...

Ichiro has been on the Seattle Mariners team for 10 years and still has a translator. He speaks good enough English to entertain the rest of the American League All-Stars in the dressing room with a torrent of hilarious smutty English before each game, but he can't do an interview on local television without going through the tranlator. What's the deal?

Atishay jain said...

nice post just keep posting i would like to hear more about this in future

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog! Go 'Stros!