Thursday, June 4, 2009

Baseball for Breakfast

Morning in Tel Aviv: The macchinetta is bubbling on the hotplate in my daughter's kitchen. A cup of home-made espresso is just moments away; I can already smell it.  My husband has wandered down to the little grocery on the corner to get some milk and maybe a fresh baked egg and cheese boreka. I watered the plants on the front step and shooed out the neighbor's cat. Just a typical Middle Eastern morning...

And I'm watching last night's Astros game against the Rockies on my daughters Mac. Ian Stewart just hit a 3-run bomb to tie the game - that guy has been a total pest against the Astros this year - what's that, 10 RBIs off homers already, including the grandslam in that blowout in Denver? Of course, I already know that there is a happy ending. The Astros are going to come from behind and win it. 

After last week's losing streak, I decided that I needed to add some positive fan vibes to help out the Astros, so I've been watching the games from Israel. What can I say? Anecdotal evidence has shown that they win more when I'm watching. Being a good luck charm is hard work - vacation is just not an excuse. 

The Astros are going to come from behind in the next inning but I'll have to watch that later in the afternoon. Right now I'm going for a stroll in Old Jaffa. 

2 comments:

-Austin said...

Susan,

I'm not going to pretend that I know what a macchinetta or a boreka is, so there. Maybe you can tell me in an email. ;) The 'stros have been doing good and I just wanted to thank you for that. B-)

Astros Fan In Exile said...

Okay, I have to be honest. I didn't know the word macchinetta either - I googled "types of coffee makers" and figured out the name for the cute little coffee pot that my daughter has. You put the water in the bottom, the coffee in the filter above it, and the empty top part screws on above. Then you put it on the stove (or in this case, the single burner) and the heat causes the water to boil and push through the coffee in the filter, making very strong Italian-style brewed coffee above. It's espresso-style coffee, but not real espresso - not enough pressure for that.

A boreka is a flaky pastry, which is filled with some kind of savory filling - often spinach and white cheese, or onions/potatoes, etc.

Go 'Stros. I'm really trying to stay up until 3 AM tonight to watch at least the first inning, but after a rock concert and a bottle of very nice merlot from the Golan, it's a real struggle...

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on my blog! Go 'Stros!